Surgeons attached to the Department of General Surgery perform a wide range of operations, from common to highly-advanced procedures like cancer surgery, especially for malignancy breast and gastrointestinal tract.
Department of General Surgery is a full fledged department with five units functioning all seven days a week providing round the clock service. The faculties in the department, apart from routine general surgical work, regularly perform Endoscopic, basic & advanced Laparoscopic procedures. All faculties are well trained in all emergency surgical procedures and major gastro intestinal surgeries and Oncological procedures. All surgeries are done free of cost / minimal charges for consumables alone. We do surgeries under various insurance schemes including the Chief Minister health insurance scheme, ESI, ECHS, etc.
|Dr. V. Balakrishnan||Professor & Head|
|Dr. S. Kothandapani||Professor|
|Dr. R. Marudavanan||Professor|
|Dr. G. V. Manoharan||Professor|
|Dr. K. Srinivasan||Professor|
|Dr. Karthik S. Bhandary||Assistant Professor|
|Dr. E. Ananthamurugan||Assistant Professor|
|Dr. M. Rajavel||Assistant Professor|
|Dr. A. Ajayraja||Assistant Professor|
|Dr. P. Maharaja||Assistant Professor|
|Dr. R. Anandhbalaji||Assistant Professor|
|Dr. A. Annamalai||Senior Resident|
|Dr. A. Arulselvan||Senior Resident|
|Dr. J. Hemilda Periyanayaki||Senior Resident|
|Dr. Ranjan James Prem Kumar||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Srinivas Gedala||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Aarthi Raja||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Pranav Sharma||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Kuladeep||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Srinath Sarma. S.V.||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Dandawate Shruti Rohit||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Nabeel. M.V||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Ashwathaman. A||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Pratheep. S||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Siva Sankar. S||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Hari Krishna. K.S||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Sidharthan. P||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Denny Philip||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Govardhanan. R||Junior Resident|
- State of the art Operation theatres for elective, emergency and septic cases separately.
- Fully equipped Laparoscopic operation theatre.
- Separate intensive care units for surgery with fully dedicated staffs.
- Upper GI endoscopy both for adults and pediatric patients and Colonoscopy.
- Surgical Oncology, OPD and Surgeries.
- Paediatric Surgery, OPD and Surgeries.
- Urology, OPD and Surgeries including transplant.
- Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery, OPD and Surgeries, bypass procedures and valve replacement and Septal defect closures.
- Neurosurgery, OPD and Surgeries head injury and trauma including spine surgeries.
- Plastic surgery, OPD and Surgeries.
- Round the clock functioning blood bank.
- 180 bedded general ward and special ward facilities available.
- Special clinics for Diabetic foot, Breast diseases and ano rectal diseases.
- Academic facilities such as Department library, Museum, smart classrooms both for theory and clinical.
- Laparoscopic Surgery
- Upper G.I. Endoscopy
|Monday||Diabetic foot care clinic||8.30 to 4.00 p.m.|
|Tuesday||Breast clinic||8.30 to 4.00 p.m.|
|Wednesday||Proctology clinic||8.30 to 4.00 p.m.|
|Monday, Wednesday, Saturday||Urology||8.30 to 4.00 p.m.|
|Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday||Surgical Oncology||8.30 to 4.00 p.m.|
|Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday||Cardiothoracic & Vascular Surgery||8.30 to 4.00 p.m.|
|Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday||Neurosurgery||8.30 to 4.00 p.m.|
|Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday||Plastic Surgery||8.30 to 4.00 p.m.|
Eminent Professors and other faculties of our department give excellent teaching and intensive training for the undergraduate students and interns. Regular evaluations are carried out for the performance of the students in both theory and clinical. This is being reflected with the regular university ranks obtained by our students in the university examinations and maximum pass percentage.
UG Training includes both clinical classes and Theory Classes based on the syllabus prescribed by the MCI.
|Semester||Day & Time|
|4th & 5th Semester||Tuesday 8.30 to 9.30 a.m.|
|6th & 7th Semester||Wednesday 8.30 to 9.30 a.m.|
|8th & 9th Semester||Wednesday & Friday 8.30 to 9.30 a.m.|
The clinical postings are as scheduled as follows
|3rd Semester||6 weeks|
|4th Semester||6 weeks|
|6th Semester||4 weeks|
|8th Semester||6 weeks|
|9th Semester||4 weeks|
The interns are given intensive training and excellent opportunities in handling all types of patients and in assisting / performing several surgical procedures.
POST GRADUATE TRAINING:
Post graduate MS program has been started since 2016 with intake of 5 seats/year. The teaching schedules are being carried out based on the Pondicherry University syllabus.
The departmental academic activity includes,
|Wednesday||Journal Club ( 1 & 3 week)||2|
|Every Month second Wednesday||Interdepartmental Meeting||1|
|Every Month Third Thursday||Monthly Test (PG’s)||1|
Post Graduates are engaged in Outside peripheral postings at NIMHANS (Neurosurgery) and Adayar Cancer Institute. They are also posted in Cardiothoracic Surgery, Urology, Anaesthesiology, Radio-Diagnosis and Plastic Surgery.
- Venkatesh SP, Asymptomatic presentation of Bochdalek’s hernia in an adult. Indian J of Surg, 2011; 73(5): 382 – 383.
- Ray G, Venkatesh SP, Ilayalvan S. Adult pancreatoblastoma: A rare entity. Journal of evolution of medical and dental sciences, 2014.
- Venkatesh SP, Kothandapani S, Marudavanan R. A comparative study of efficacy of disinfectants used for flexible endoscope: Glutaraldehyde versus Ortho – Phthalaldehyde. Sch. J. App. Med. Sci., 2014; 2 (4D); 1408 – 1414.
- Venkatesh SP. A study on attitude of medical students towards learning of communication skills. Journal of Evolution of Medical and Dental Sciences 2014; 3(27): 7567 – 7573.
- Kavimozhi Ilakkiya P, Marudavanan R, Venugopala K, A rare case of tuberculous vasitis presenting as an inguinal mass. RJMS, 2015 Jan 37-38.
- Karthik Bhandary, Ray. G, Kothandapani, Marudhavanan, Ilayalvan, Arul Kumaran – Trichobezoa with Rapunzel Syndrome, RJMS 2015, Jan: 45 – 48.
- Arjun. B, Annamalai. A, Balamurugan. R, Shivekar. SS, Kaviraj M.A Clinico-Endoscopic Study of Upper GI Disorders in Rural Population of Pondicherry. International Journal of Current Research and Review 2015 Oct 15; 7 (20): 37.
- Dr. E. Ananthamurugan – Prevalance of Helicobacter pylori infection in patients with atrophic Gastritis and role of dark field microscopy in diagnosis. E. Ananthamurugan, M. Saleem, R. Gopal, S. Sunil Shivekar, M. Raviraj, R. Balamurugan Jemds.com Journal of Evolution of Medical & Dental Sciences, Nov 2015; 15873-15875.
- Anand Shankarao Patil, Maruthavanan R. Histopathological Evaluation of endoscopic biopsies in patients with lesional gastrointestinal tract disorders. Published on JEMDS Jan 2016.
- Kumaraguru V, Prabu R, Kannan. N.S. Penile epidermal cyst: A case report. J.Clin. Diagn. Res: JCDR, May 2016: 10(5): PD05-PD06.
- Kannan. N.S, Kannan. R, Rohan. V, Babu CPG. Early Diagnosis and Management of Necrotising Fasciitis. IOSR Journal of Dental & Medical Sciences (IOSR – JDMS). Aug 2016; 1(15) 90-95.
- Rajaswarooby, Kannan. R, Kannan. N.S, Tirouaroul. T. Effectiveness & Centchromin in Regression of Fibroadenosis and Mastalgia. J.Clin Diagn Res Oct 2016: 10(10): PC 10-PC14.
- Arjun B, Karthik S Bhandary, Maruthavanan R. Papillary carcinoma of thyroglossal duct cyst-a case report. RGUHS Med Sciences, 2017 Jan: 36 – 37.
- Balasubramanian. A, Kannan. N.S. Eyelid Malignancies – Always Quite Challenging. JClin Diagn Res March 2017; 11(31): XR01 – XR04.
- G.V. Manoharan, T. Sivakumar. Comparison of Quality of Life in Oral Cancer Patients following Surgery vs Radiology. IAIM, 2017 Dec; 4(12): 195-198.
- G.V. Manoharan, T. Sivakumar, M. Ashok Kumar. Evaluation of the use of subcutaneous drains to prevent wound complications in abdominal surgeries. Int Surg J. 2018 Apr; 5(4): 1-5.
Dr. M. Rajavel
|PG – General Surgery – Gold Medalist (2015)|
Community visited Thiruvennainallur Rural Health Training Centre every Friday between 8.00 a.m. to 1.00 p.m. Camps are conducted in nearby villages for identifying and treating all surgical diseases at free of cost.
Guest Lectures by eminent professors from various Medical Institutions at regular intervals.
Update On Surgery Cme
The Clinical orientation CME – Surgery was conducted at the Government Medical College, Villupuram on 23.08.2017, 45 students from the 9th semster have participated in the event.
Rajarajan V.S and Muthuraman. M have obtained the 1st place in the surgery quiz Vishnulakshmi.R, Rajarajan.V.S and Nitinjain have presented clinical cases for discussion among 7 colleges that have participated.
Rajarajan V.S and Muthuraman receiving the first prize in the Intercollegiate Quiz
Two CME’s conducted in General Surgery Department:
CME on Pancreatic Diseases on 02.08.2014 – Hospital Basement Auditorium
CME on GERD/Oncology on 21.04.2017 MIT Auditorium
Three Guest Lectures Conducted in General Surgery Department:
Topic: Surgical Jaundice – Speaker – Prof. Dr. Simon Dasiah, IGMC & RI on 09.02.2018
Case Discussion/UG/PG Case Discussions – at Hospital Basement Lecture Hall.
Speaker – Prof. Dr. Usha Dorairajan, Madras Medical College, on 04.09.2018
Case Discussion/UG/PG Case Discussions – at Hospital Basement Lecture Hall.
Speaker – Dr. Rajamahendiran, M.S., M.Ch. (Gastro), on 08.10.2018 at MIT Auditorium
Case presentation/case discussion, Lecture, Video presentations.