The Department of Anaesthesiology and Critical Care is a working asset for Sri Manakula Vinayagar Medical college and Hospital.
The Department of Anaesthesiology is a well organized, directed and integrated with other departments/services of the hospital. The aim of the Department of Anaesthesiology is to become excellent anaesthesia department of its own standard in the country by 2020. To have multidepartmental, multiinstitutional and international collaboration in the field of biomedical research and innovation. To train students in the skills of resuscitation, initial assessment and stabilisation of poly trauma patients. To carryout clinical research in the fields of critical care, interventional & palliative pain management and damage control surgery /resuscitation. To conduct workshops, CME, Conferences and encourage participation of faculty and students.
Department is well equipped with talented and experienced teachers exposed to advances in the specialities of perioperative anaesthesia, trauma ,critical care, pain management and super specialities which provides an additional platform in managing almost all complicated patients; also train our students in developing skills in trauma care and resuscitation.
Reach the pinnacle of Anaesthetic excellence
Adopting modern technology – teaching and training Medical students / professionals Providing healing touch to the humanity.
Anaesthesia Department is located in Clinical Department wing in II Floor of Hospital and all operation theatres complexes are located in I floor of the Hospital.
Round the clock services are made available by a dedicated team of well qualified Anaesthesiologists. The department has all modern equipments to provide the services and it strictly abides by safety and supreme patient care.
|Dr.Suneeth.P.Lazarus||Professor and Head|
|Dr.Vishwanath R Hiremath||Professor|
|Dr.Suresh Kumar .K||Associate Professor|
|Dr.Dinesh Babu.D||Associate Professor|
|Dr.Dilip Chandar.D||Assistant Professor|
|Dr.Murshid Ahamed.A||Senior Resident|
|Dr.Jacob John Plakeel||Junior Resident|
|Dr.Anwar Shakkeel||Junior Resident|
|Dr.Guru Avinash.G||Junior Resident|
|Dr.Jiju Antony.A||Junior Resident|
|Dr.Abi Meenashy||Junior Resident|
|Dr.Elizabeth Nishi||Junior Resident|
|Dr.Kaussika Sri.K||Junior Resident|
|Dr.Mannare Mannane||Junior Resident|
- Air conditioned Seminar Hall with LCD Projector, Desktop and departmental computer system with central connectivity and internet.
- Research laboratory, Museum, Central and Departmental Library.
Pre Anaesthetic Clinic:
Pre Anaesthetic Out Patient Clinic available in Surgical OPD Wing to ensure proper pre operative assessment , evaluation, planning , discussing the anaesthetic plan with the patients by well trained Anaesthesiologists to abide standards of American Society of Anaesthesiologists and World Health Organization.
Operation Theatre Facility:
Fourteen well equipped State of Art Operation Theatres with Laminar flow air conditioning system.
Post Anaesthesia Care Unit:
Well equipped Post Anaesthesia Care unit monitored round the clock by Anaesthesiologists and well trained Staff Nurses.
Critical Care Unit:
A well equipped state of art 8 Bedded Ultra Modern Critical Care Unit managed round the clock by Anaesthesiologists trained in Critical Care to provide critical care services of International Standards.
Anaesthesia Services inside O.R (Operation Room)
Types of anaesthesia provided
- General Anaesthesia
- Spinal Anaesthesia
- Epidural Anaesthesia
- Caudal Anaesthesia
- Combined techniques
- Nerve blocks (Regional & Local)
- Total Intravenous Anaesthesia
- Monitored Anaesthesia Care
Varieties of surgical Specialities
- General Surgery
- Obstetrics & Gynaecology
- Laparoscopic surgeries( OBG and General Surgery)
- Orthopaedics (Spine, Joint replacement, Arthroscopy)
- ENT (Microscopic surgeries, Endoscopic , UVPP)
- Faciomaxillary & Dental surgeries
- Diagnostic & therapeutic Bronchoscopy.
- CT, C-Arm , Nerve stimulator, Ultrasound Guided guided therapeutic procedures for acute and chronic pain management by Anaesthesiologists.
Varieties of Surgical Super specialities
- Paediatric Surgery
- Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery
- Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
Anaesthesia services Outside O.R (Operation Theatre)
- Pre Anaesthetic evaluation clinic
- Pain Clinic
- Ventilator management in CCU, Medical and Surgical ICU, Casualty, ICCU, PICU &NICU.
- Anaesthesia for radiological suites- MRI,CT scan
- Anaesthesia for cardiac cath lab procedures.
- Central line for CVP monitoring and Dialysis etc.
- Labour Analgesia
- Brainstem Evoked Response Audiometry
Operation Theatre Equipments
- Ultra modern Anaesthesia workstations
- Boyle’s Apparatus
- Oxygen & Gas analysers
- Multipara monitors
- Electronically adjustable Operation theatre table
- C-Arm compatible OR Table
- Ambu bags
- Tech 7 vaporizers
- Mobile X-ray units
- Fiber optic – Laryngoscope
- Fiber optic bronchoscope,Videolarynscope
- Ultra Modern Ultrasound machine with 2D ECHO facility.
- Syringe pumps & infusion pumps
- Blood and fluid warmers
- Patient warming systems
- Radiant warmers for Newborns
- Neuromuscular monitor
All other equipments for Anaesthesia& resuscitation
- Supraglottic Airway devices (LMA – C trac, proseal)
- Bougies, (Adult & Pediatric ventilating Bougie)
- Nerve locator (Braun)
Anaesthesia – I Ultrasound Guided Nerve Blocks
Anaesthesia – II USG Guided Nerve Blocks
Liquid Oxygen Plant.
It is well equipped with Manifold technicians and
- D type O2 and N2O cylinders connected in series and with automatic switch over mechanism.
- As a crown to our Manifold room Liquid Oxygen Plant was added.
- Vacuum generators and compressor with outlet central supply lines for O2, N2O and vacuum ports in the wards, ICUs and operation theatres.
Central Sterilization & Supply Department (CSSD)
Equipped with well trained staffs round the clock and with adequate sterilization equipments ETO (Ethylene Oxide) sterilization facility is also available.
The didactic lectures are scheduled weekly on all Saturdays for 6th& 7thSemester MBBS.
|6th Semester||Saturday 8.30am -9.30am|
Two weeks of compulsory training period.
Regular CPR workshop for all the interns on every year January month.
- G Lecture classes.
|I week||II week||III week||IV week|
|Tuesday||Faculty class||Scientific Society Meeting||Faculty class||Seminar|
|Wednesday||Case Presentation||Case Presentation||Case Presentation||Death Audit|
|Thursday||Department Meeting||Group discussion||Group discussion||Group discussion|
|Friday||Journal Club||Seminar||Journal Club||Seminar|
- G Seminars
- Journal clubs
- Case Presentation
- Group Discussion
- Internal Assessment for PGs by means of written examination , oral and clinical evaluation.
- CPR classes for UG Students, CRRI, PGs and Residents.
- Simulator and Manikin assisted hands on workshop for UG students, CRRI, PGs and Residents.
- Suneeth P Lazarus Comparative study of Hyperglycemic response in well controlled diabetic patients undergoing general and regional Anaesthesia. International Journal of Recent trends in science & Technology2277-2812 Index CopernicusDec 2014
- Vishwanath R Hiremath “Ambulatory Anaesthesia – an overview” CIB Tech Journal of Surgery ISSN 2319-3875, 2014, vol 3 (1) Jan-April43-45
- Vishwanath R Hiremath Anaesthetic management of patient with Low Ejection Fraction International Journal of Basic and Applied Medical Sciences ISSN2277-2103; 2014 Vol4(2) May- Aug 8-11
- Dilip Kumar, Dr. Vishwanath R Hiremath Efficacy of Clonidine as an adjuvant for caudal block in children undergoing infraumbilical surgery Journal of Evaluation of Medical and Dental Sciences ISSN2278-4748,2278-4805;2015 Oct 12 2015
- Vishwanath R Hiremath, Dr.Gnansekar Dexmeditomidine and Fentany for endotracheal intubation Journal of Evaluation of Medical and Dental Sciences ISSN2278-4748,2278-4805;2015,Vol4 Oct 15,
- Jalakandhan, Dr.Bhaskar Dr.Vishwanath R Hiremath Effect of N –acetyl cysteine on oxidative stress in patients undergoing off pump coronary artery bypass grafting Journal of Evaluation of Medical and Dental Sciences ISSN 2278-4748,2278-4805;2015, Vol4,Issue 79 Oct.1201513754-13763
- Deepa kameshwari Perumal, Mangaiarkarasi Adhimoolam, Nithya selvaraj, Suneeth Pulikkottil Lazarus, Mehar Ali Raja Mohammed Midazolam premedication for ketamine induced emergence phenomenon. A prospective observational study Journal of research in pharmacy Practice Pubmed Index2319-9644 April 2015
- D Dinesh babu, Dr. D Dilip chandar, Dr. S Balasubramanian, Dr. K Sureshkumarm Evaluation of post dural puncture headache using various sizes of spinal needles International Journal of Scientific study 2321-6379 Index Medicus,Index Copernicus December 2015.
- Mayank Chansoria, Dr. Dilip chandar A preliminary study of a novel technique of suprascapular nerve block in treating chronic shoulder pain Indian Journal of Pain0970-5333Index CopernicusCNKIEBSCO May – August 2015
- S Balasubramanian, Dr K sanmuga priya, Dr K Sureshkumar Comparison of Ropivacaine and Ropivacaine with Clonidine for caudal analgesia in paediatric patients for lower abdominal surgeries International Journal of Scientific study January 2016
- K .Sureshkumar, Dr. A Siva shanmugam, Dr N Girimurugan, Dr. Suneeth P Lazarus Randomized controlled study to compare the efficacy of intravenous Palonosetron and intravenous Ondansetron in preventing postoperative nausea and vomiting in laprascopic surgeries International journal of Scientific study 2321-6379Index Medicus,Index Copernicus March 2016
- B T Arish, Dr Dinesh babu, Dr. Suneeth P Lazarus Effect of Dexamethasone as an adjuvant to local anaesthetic in supraclavicular brachial plexus block International Journal of Scientific Study 2321-6379Index Medicus,Index Copernicus January2016
- Lokesh K Nety, Dr. Dilip chandar Comparison of three different doses of Magnesium sulphate as adjuvant to Bupivacaine in spinal anaesthesia for abdominal hysterectomies Journal for research analysis 2277-8160Index Copernicus March 2016
- Mayank Chansoria, Dr. Dilip chandar Bacterial colonization of epidural catheters used for short-term postoperative analgesia: a microbiological examination and risk factor analysis International Journal of medical science and public health 2320-4664Index MedicusIndex CopernicusScope Med 2016/ volume 5/ Issue 02
- Yogeshwaran,Dr.Balasubramanian,Dr.Sanmugapiriya K,Dr.Suneeth P Lazarus Effect of Butorphanol as an adjuvant in Epidural Analgesia for Inguinal Hernia Surgery International Journal of Scientific study2321-6379Index Medicus,Index Copernicus 17th May 2016 30 June 2016
|Name of the Postgraduate||Programe||Topic||Awarded|
|Dr.Girimurugan||PONCON 2014 Annual state conference||Free paper presentation||2nd Prize|
|Dr.Girimurugan&Dr.Arish||PONCON 2014||Quiz||2nd Prize|
|Dr.A.Arulmani||ISACON 2015 Nation conference Jaipur||ISH NARANI MEMORIAL POSTER||Best Poster|
|Dr.Arulmani||Annual Scientific Society Meet 2016||Original Article||1 st Prize|
|Dr.Nithish Mukunthan||Annual Scientific Society Meet 2016||Original Article||2nd Prize|
|Dr.A.Arulmani Dr.Nithish Mukunthan||PONCON 2016 Annual state conference||Quiz||3rd Prize|
|Name of the Post graduate||Batch||University exam medal|
|Dr.Nithish Mukunthan||2015-2017||Gold Medal|
Seminars and Conferences Conducted
|S.No||Date||Nature of the Program||Programme|
|1||07.3.2010||Regional symposium on Mechanical ventilation||CME|
|2||16.10.2013||CME||World Anaesthesia day|
|3||08.11.2014 09.11.2014||PONCON||5th Annual state conference of ISA Puducherry CME + workshop +conference|
|6||17.10.2016||CME||World Anaesthesia Day|
|Batch||Name Of the Post- Graduates||Working Institute||Emainl ID|
|2012-2015||Dr.N.Girimurugan||Consultant Anaesthesiologist , Sudha Hospital,Erodeemail@example.com|
|Dr.Sanmugapiriya||Assistant Professor, SMVMCHfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr.Vishak Nair||Consultant Critical Carephysician, JubileeMission Hospital, Thrissuremail@example.com|
|2013-2016||Dr.Arish||Assistant Professor, PIMSfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr.Sivashanmugam||Assistant Professor, SRM , Trichyemail@example.com|
|Dr.Yogeshwaran||Consultant Anaesthesiologist, RMRHospital, Thiruvanamalaifirstname.lastname@example.org|
|2014-2017||Dr.Arulmani||Assistant Professor, SMVMCHemail@example.com|
|Dr.Kartheek Hajeebu||Assistant Professor, NIMRA Institute of MedicalSciences, Vijayawadafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr.Nithish Mukunthan||Registrar, Critical Care,Apollo Hospitals,Greams Road.||Nmukunthan88@gmail.com|
|Dr.Murshid Ahamed||Senior Resident,SMVMCHemail@example.com|
Testimonial from PG alumni:
Dr.Arulmani (2014 – 2017)
“ Well trained and experienced faculties are the major pillars of this department. We were made to be competent anaesthesiologist by rigorous training and teaching by faculties. Availability of machines and equipments of modern standards and more number of cases with variety of conditions has made us to learn and cherish during our PG residency. Moreover, a homely atmosphere has enabled us to cross through our PG residency with love and care”
Dr. Vidjai vikram: (2015 – 2018)
“ During the 3 years of my PG life, the Department of Anaesthesiology ,SMVMCH has been a second family and the OT a second home. Each and every faculty was always caring and supervising from the very first till the last day of exams. It was made sure that a self learning process maintained, but we were also spoon fed at times. The department wiped away our tears in worst moments and laughed with us in best moments. I will forever be grateful to the department of anaesthesia of SMVMCH, which did everything to make the anaesthetist that I am today”