The Department of Pharmacology was established under the guidance of Head of the Department by Dr.S.Basalingappa in the year 2006. Since then Experimental pharmacology laboratory, Clinical pharmacology laboratory, Department museum have been established. Our Department library contains all pharmacology related books for undergraduates, postgraduates and also for nursing students. Animal House was established in the year 2005. Recently Pharmacovigilance unit has been established for reporting of adverse drug reactions. Computer Assisted learning was implemented in the year 2017.
|Dr. R. Meher Ali||Professor & Head|
|Dr. J. Mohanasundaram||Professor|
|Dr. S. Nitya||Associate Professor|
|Dr. A. Nishanthi||Assistant Professor|
|Dr. J. Nalini Devi||Tutor|
|Dr. G. Suganya||Tutor|
|Dr. A. Isswariya||Tutor|
Facilities available in the department:
- 2 demonstration rooms
- Department library
- Post graduate students
- Experimental Pharmacology lab
- Research Lab
- Clinical Pharmacology and Pharmacy lab
- Pharmacovigilance Office
- Animal house
The department is training MBBS students, B.Sc. Nursing in both theoretical and practical aspects of pharmacology. The students are taught using various teaching methods like lectures, seminars, small group discussion, tutorials. Students trained in experimental pharmacology by Computer assisted learning (CAL) with the help of Animal simulator software purchased from Elsevier Company and implemented from November 2017. This helps to reduce use of animals for experimental purpose as per the guidelines of the Animal Ethics Committee.
We have expert faculties who are involved in the academic activities of UG students.
|Semester||Theory Classes /week||Practicals Classes/week|
|4 hours||2 hours each for
2 batches of students
|2 hours||2 hours each for
2 batches of students
|3 hours||2 hours each for
2 batches of students
Four post graduate seats are available in the department of pharmacology since 2011. These students are trained in both theoretical and practical aspects of pharmacology. The Post graduates are trained in the form of Seminar, Journal club, PG classes, PG discussion, aiding in undergraduates theory and practical classes. They are trained in animal handling, bioassay experiments, computer assisted learning and the basics of clinical trials.
|I week||Dissertation||PG Discussion||Pracatical||Journal club|
|II week||Dissertation||PG Discussion||Pracatical||Journal club|
|III week||Test||PG Discussion||Pracatical||Journal club|
|IV week||Seminar||PG Discussion||Pracatical||Journal club|
- Mangaiarkkarasi A, Nitya, Mehar Ali R and Ramaswamy S. A Study to Assess the Knowledge, Attitude and Practice about Diabetes among Diabetic Patients in Pondicherry.RJPBCS,Oct- Dec 2012:Volume 3 Issue 4 Page No. 1185.
- Mangaiarkkarasi A.Viswanathan S, Ramaswamy S and Tharani CB. Anxiolytic Effect of Morin in Mice. IJLPR, Vol 2/Issue 3/Jul-Sept 2012:52 – 60.
- Jafrin AL, Kumar P, Udhayalakshmi T, Jayapriya B, Sawadkar MS. Drug utilization patterns of Geriatric patients admitted in theMedicine Department of a Tertiary Care Hospital. Int JPharm LifeSci. 2013
- Jafrin L. Anxiolytic Effect of Ondansetron, a 5-HT3 Antagonist on male albino mice in the Elevated Plus Maze. April – June 2013 RJPBCS Volume 4 Issue 2. 1665 – 1675.
- Jafrin L, Venkat Naveen Kumar P , Udhayalakshmi T, Jayapriya B, Maruti Shripati Sawadkar. Drug Utilization study of geriatric population in patients admitted in medicine ward in a tertiary care hospital. International journal of pharmacy and life sciences.2013.
- Nitya S, Deepa K, Mangaiarkkarasi A, Karthikeyan K. Doxycycline induced generalized bullous fixed drug eruption. Journal of Young Pharmacists2013; 5(4):195 – 196.
- Nitya S, Deepa Kameswari P, Mangaiarkkarasi A, Jagadeesh A, Ali RM. Chlorpromazine induced ocular myasthenia gravis. Int J Basic ClinPharmacol 2013;2:653-
- Nitya S, Mangaiarkkarasi A, Ali RM, Sawadkar MS. Intern’s knowledge in clinical pharmacology and Therapeutics at Puducherry: A cross sectional study. Int J Basic ClinPharmacol 2013; 2:622-8.
- Erli Amel Ivan, Mangaiarkkarasi A. Evaluation of Anaemia in Booked Antenatal mothers During the Last Trimester. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2013: Nov. Vol 7(11):2487 – 249.
- Mangaiarkkarasi A, Meher Ali R and Gopal R. Antimicrobial Susceptibility Pattern of PseudomonasAeruginosa Isolated from various clinical specimens in Pondicherry. Int. J Pharm Bio Sci2013 Oct; 4(4) p 42 – 48.
- . Mangaiarkkarasi A, ErliAmel Ivan, Gopal R. Antimicrobial Susceptibility Pattern of Gram Negative organisms Isolated from Clinical specimens in a Teaching Hospital, Pondicherry. RJPBCS 2013: Apr – Jun Volume4 Issue 2 Page No.664
- . Mangaiarkkarasi A, Meher Ali R and Gopal R .Study of Antimicrobial Susceptibility Pattern of Escherichia coli Isolated from clinical specimens in a Teaching Hospital, Pondicherry.RJPBCS. 2013: Jan-Mar. Volume 4 Issue 1 Page No. 136
- Rameshkannan S, Nileshraj G, Rameshprabu S, Mangaiarkkarasi A, MeherAli R. Pattern of pathogens and their sensitivity isolated from pus culture reports in a tertiary care hospital, puducherry. Indian Journal of Basic and Applied Medical Research 2014; Vol.-4(1): P243-248.
- Kameswari PD, Selvaraj N, Adhimoolam M. Fixed drug eruptions caused by cross-reactive quinolones. J Basic Clin Pharma 2014; 5:54-5.
- Antony LJ, Paruchuri VNK, Ramanan R. Antidepressant effect ofketamine in sub anaesthetic doses in male albino mice. J Clin DiagnRes JCDR. 2014 Jun; 8(6):HC05–7.
- Jafrin L. Anxiolytic, Sedative, and hypnotic activities of aqueous extract of morinda citrifolia fruit – Journal of Ayurveda & Integrative Medicine: April – June 2014 / Vol 5/ issue 2.
- Mangaiarkkarasi, S.Rameshkannan, R.Meher Ali. Effect of Gabapentin and Pregabalin in Rat Model of Taxol Induced Neuropathic Pain. JCDR 2015; Vol 9 Is 5 Page FF11
- Parthiban G, Nileshraj G, Mangaiarkkarasi A, Meher Ali R. A survey on knowledge, attitude and awareness of pharmacovigilance among medical students in a teaching hospital, Puducherry. Indian Journal of Basic and Applied Medical Research 2015; 5(1):198-203.
- Perumal DK, Adhimoolam M, Selvaraj N, Lazarus SP, Mohammed MA. Midazolam premedication for Ketamine-induced emergence phenomenon: A prospective observational study. J Res Pharm Pract 2015; 4:89-93.
- Nitya Selvaraj, Mangaiarkkarasi Adhimoolam, Deepa Kameswari Perumal, Meher Ali RajaMohammed. Neuroprotective Effect of Lercanidipine- A Novel Calcium Channel Blocker in Albino Mice. Journal of Clinical and Diagnostic Research. 2015 Nov, Vol-9(11): FF01-FF05.
- Bharathi priyan M, Nileshraj G, Mangaiarkkarasi A, Meher Ali R. Antibiotic sensitivity and resistance pattern in blood and urine culture reports obtained from paediatric patients in a tertiary care hospital, Pondicherry. Indian Journal of Basic and Applied Medical Research 2016; 5(2): 487-494.
- R.V.Rama Narayana Reddy, T.A.R. Raja, G.Senthil, Priyadharshini. Evaluation Of The Thyroid Hormone Dysfunction In Type – 2 diabetes Patients on Metformin Therapy – A Cross Sectional Study-IAIM journal vol. 3, issued 1, January, 2016.
- Rama Narayana Reddy, T.A.R. Raja, G.Senthil, Priyadharshini. Self medication practices in a tertiary care hospital-A cross sectional study-The Pharma Innovational Journal 2016:5(4):04-06.
- Senthil Gobalakrishnan, Sylvia Santhakumari Asivatham, Venkatraman Janarthanam. Effect of silybin on Lipid Profile in Hypercholesterolemic Rats. JCDR 2016; Vol 10 Is 4 Page FF01-05
- Nitya Selvaraj, Deepa Kameswari, Ramya Gandhi, Meher Ali Raja Mohammad. Anticonvulsant effect of lercanidipine against pentylenetetrazole induced kindling in mice. International Journal of Basic & Clinical Pharmacology 2017 vol 6, issue 9.
- Justin SA, Senthil .G, Asirvatham SS.Effect of silybin in 1- methyl-4-phenyl-1, 2, 3, 6 tetrahydropyridine (MPTP) induced Parkinsonism in mice. International Journal of Basic & Clinical Pharmacology 2017 23; 6(10): 2414-21.
- Nitya S , Anugraha S, Ramya G, Nalini devi J, Suganya G, Meher Ali R. Drug utilization pattern in pregnancy at a tertiary care hospital in Puducherry, A cross sectional observational study. International journal of basic & clinical Pharmacology 2018; 7(5); 900-905.
- Ramya G, Nitya S, Ilamparithi J. Knowledge and attitude of cervical cancer screening and its prophylactic vaccination against human papilloma virus among the undergraduate Medical students in a tertiary care hospital. APLAM 2018; 5(6): A515 – A520.
- Nalinidevi J, Nishanthi A, Mohanasundaram J, Meher Ali R. Fluindione and Cefixime induced cutaneous bleeding manifestations-A case report and review of literature. International Journal of Pharmacological Research 2018; 8(3):24-26
- Miss .M.S.Anugraha (149 batch) ,under the guidance of S.Nitya, has been awarded the Short Term Studentship (STS) for a period of two months at January 2017 for the project entitled “Drug utilization pattern in pregnancy at a tertiary care hospital in puducherrry-A Cross –Sectional observational study (ref.no-2016-01484).
- Meher Ali.R chaired a session for oral presentation at a conference on Golden Jubilee international conference of Indian Pharmacological society, held at Mahatma medical college &hospital on 4/07/2017&5/07/2017
- Meher Ali.R nominated as the Co-chairperson of CME on Cell Culture and Stem Cell Technology held on 7th September 2013 in SMVMCH, Puducherry.
- Mohanasundaram.J nominated as the chairperson for a scientific session Symposium 5: Drugs from natural sources on 05.07.2017 in the Golden Jubilee international conference of Indian Pharmacological society, Southern Region – 2017 held at MGMCRI, Puducherry.
- Mohanasundaram.J nominated as a member of the Selection Committee of Central Council of Research in Homeopathy and attended the same on 24th August 2017 at New Delhi.
- Rajaram.P selected as nominee of Committee for the purpose of control and Supervision of Experiments on Animals (CPCSEA) on 30.10.2018 after successful completion of two days regional training programme held at Madras Veterinary College on 19th & 20th July.
- Yuvappreya (128 batch), under the guidance of Dr.A.Nishanthi has been awarded the Short Term Studentship (STS) for a period of two months at January 2018 for the project entitled “Knowledge, Attitude and Practice of Biomedical waste management among staff nurses- A cross sectional study”(ref.no-2018-04592)
Undergraduates Achievements in Quiz competition:
1st prize in SOUTH ZONAL U.G MEET and 2nd prize in ADR CROSSWORD PUZZLE in 2012 at MGMCH
2nd Prize in UG QUIZ COMPETETION held at Saveetha medical college on 25th October 2013
Quiz competition II, III, IV, M.B.B.S., CRRIs of SMVMCH conducted on 18th June 2016
Undergraduate students have scored centum results, 2017 in Pharmacology.
Post graduates Achievements:
University rank/Gold medal:
|Name of the Post graduate||Batch||University exam medal|
|Dr.Nitya.S||2011 – 2014||Gold|
|Dr. Deepa Kameshwari||2013- 2016||Gold|
|Dr.Ansha Subramanina||2014- 2017||1st|
|Guest lecture||24th august2016||Nephrotoxic drugs an-update||Dr.Sreeejith Parameshwaran|
|23rd November 2016||Clinical trials||Dr. Sudhakar|
|24th February 2017||Drug design and Discovery||Dr. Kavimani|
|23rd October 2017||Clinical approach and management of dengue||Dr.S.Ragunanthan|
|14th July 2017||Antiepileptic drugs-the new era||Dr. K.Pandian|
|CME||3rd August 2013||Mycobacterial infections & Antibacterials – Micropharm|
|29th October 2016||Pharmacovigilance|
|7thSeptember 2013||Cell culture and stem Cell technology|
|29th march 2018||Tuberculosis – the present and future scenario|
|Work shop||25th march 2017||Good clinical Practice|
|12th, 13th , 16th , 19th , 20th April 2018 and 17th May 2018||Pharmacovigilance work shop conducted in collaboration with NABH|
|Day events||21st July 2016||ADR reporting training session Day|
|17th December 2017 Dr.Gopal and Dr. Murugapan||Symposium on Psychopharmacology|
Pharmacovigilance safety physician
|Madras Medical College, Chennai
Accenture company Chennai
Government medical college Thiruvannamalai
|Pharmacovigilance safety physician
Pharmacovigilance safety physician
|Accenture company Chennai
Accenture company Chennai
Aarupadai Veedu Medical College and Hospital, Puducherry
|2014||Dr. Ansha Subramanian||Assistant Surgeon||Government Head Quarters Hospital email@example.com|
Testimonial from PG Alumni:
|2012||Dr.Ramesh Prabu||Pharmacovigilance safety physician||Accenture company Chennai||SMVMCH – Pharmacology department accepted me as a Post Graduate, 11 years post my under graduate thanks to all my teachers who helped me to understand the value of 1mark. I was lucky to have very good seniors, colleagues and juniors.|
|2013||Dr.Bharathi Priyan||Pharmacovigilance safety physician||Accenture company Chennai||SMVMCH – My professor’s gave me a peaceful environment to learn and helped me to improve my teaching skills. Currently I am working in Accenture (private sector) as Pharmacovigilance safety physician.|
|2013||Dr.Parthiban||Pharmacovigilance safety physician||Accenture company Chennai||SMVMCH – My professor in department of Pharmacology played a pivotal role in overcoming the barriers & driving me toward the best career path that made my life better in many ways. Currently I am working as a Pharmacovigilance Safety Physician at Accenture chennai|
|2013||Dr.P.Deepa Kameswari||Assistant Professor||Aarupadai Veedu Medical College and Hospital, Puducherry||SMVMCH – which helped to realize the researcher in me. I would be grateful to my professors for imparting their knowledge on pharmacology|
|2014||Dr. Ansha Subramanian||Assistant Surgeon||Government Head Quarters Hospital kanchipuram||SMVMC – Department of Pharmacology gave me wonderful experience. Both faculty and administration were cordial, helpful and guided academically for me to grow both professionally and personally|