The Department of General Medicine is one of the biggest departments in the campus with a lot of activities going on. The Medicine OPD is situated in ground floor room No: 19. We provide free services such as ECG, routine investigations like CBC, urine routine and RFT. Well equipped critical care units, including a bedside dialyzer are available. Round the clock specialists are available for treating emergencies. Highly dedicated team is the strength of the department.
|Prof. K. Nagarajan||Professor & Head|
|Prof. A.K. Badrinath||Professor|
|Prof. M.K. Uthaya Sankar||Professor|
|Prof. S. Girija||Associate Professor|
|Prof. C. Manokaran||Associate Professor|
|Dr. P. Anand||Assistant Professor|
|Dr. R. Harish||Assistant Professor|
|Dr. J. Sathiyanarayanan||Assistant Professor|
|Dr. S. Suresh Babu||Assistant Professor|
|Dr. I.S.S. Suman Babu||Senior Resident|
|Dr. Mopuru Penchala Varun||Senior Resident|
|Dr. M. Mohammad Inaamul Hassan||Junior Resident|
|Dr. A. Omar Shahid||Junior Resident|
|Dr. S. Yogesh||Junior Resident|
|Dr. A. Raghu Rama Reddy||Junior Resident|
|Dr. P.S. Aravind||Junior Resident|
|Dr. R. Venkatesh||Junior Resident|
|Dr. S. Vignesh||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Biju. D.R||Junior Resident|
|Dr. M. Balaji Venkateshwaran||Junior Resident|
|Dr. V. Naveen Sathish||Junior Resident|
|Dr. C. Sibi Chakravarthy||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Firas Rauf Mammoo||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Ritvik||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Divya. S||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Arthy. S||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Kailash. C||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Karthik. J||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Louis Ferdin Zeno||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Mythreini. B.S||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Pagavath Bharathi. P||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Praveen Kumar. P||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Roshna. E||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Priscilla Rubatahy. E||Junior Resident|
The Department provides various services required for effective diagnosis and treatment of different conditions. We have equipments for performing various tests such as. 2D ECHO, Tread-Mill, EEG, EMG, NCS and Endoscopy. We have a well equipped dialyzing unit in 1st floor. We also have a cath-lab and a supportive Radiology department which provides us with CT scans, USG and MRI.
Each Special Clinic is functioning under a qualified Physician supported by other Specialists wherever applicable like Cardiology, Nephrologist, Neurologist, Gastroenterologist, Urologist Psychiatrist, Physiotherapist etc.
|Monday||Diabetic Clinic||9.00 a.m to 4:00 pm|
|Tuesday||Haematology||9.00 a.m to 4:00 pm|
|Daily||Geriatric Clinic||9.00 a.m to 4:00 pm|
|Thursday||Endocrinology Clinic||9.00 a.m to 4:00 pm|
|Friday||Liver Clinic||9.00 a.m to 4:00 pm|
|Saturday||Hypertension clinic||9.00 a.m to 1:00 pm|
We have expert faculties who are involved in the academic activities of UG students. Every week 2 theory classes are taken by our Professors, for the 9th Semester students. Bed side clinics for the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th 8th & 9th Semester students are taken by faculties. Every month theory exams and ward leaving exams are being conducted thus ensuring effective teaching practices.
|Wednesday||8.30 a.m. to 9.30 a.m.|
|Tuesday||9.30 a.m. to 10.30 a.m.|
|Tuesday||9.30 a.m. to 10.30 a.m.|
The clinical postings are as scheduled as follows
Postgraduates are trained at the OPD, bedside emergency Medicine, special clinics and health camps etc. Strict academic schedules are followed. Every day afternoon, academic sessions are conducted, which includes various activities such as case presentations, in which all members of faculty interact and contribute. We also conduct physician’s conference once a month where interesting cases are discussed. Inter-departmental meets and internal death audits are also conducted
|I week||Long & Short Case presentation||Journal club||Radiology meet||Long case presentation||Inter departmental meet|
|II week||Long & Short
|Journal club||Seminar||Long case presentation||Inter departmental meet|
|III week||Long & Short Case
|Journal club||Seminar||Long case presentation||Long & Short Case presentation|
|IV week||Long & Short Case
|Internal Death Audit||Death Audit||Long case presentation||Seminar|
Theory and practical exams are conducted every month where students are assessed. PG’s are encouraged to attend CMEs, workshops, conferences and present case reports.
- Girija. S, Rajan. A, Sathiyanarayanan. J. Scrub typhus-An emerging disease in South India. IJRRMS/Vol. 3(4) Oct-Dec. 2013.
- A.K.Badrinath1, K. Suresh1* and Harresh. The Study of Uric Acid Levels in Primary Hypertension without End Organ Damage. BJMMR 2016; [Abstract] Full Article – PDF Page 1-11 Article Metrics DOI : 10.9734//2016/25087.
- K. Badrinath1, K. Suresh2, R. Raghunathan3, Suresh Babu A case report of myelopathy– syringomyelia. J.Evolution Med. Dent. Sci. 2016 ;5(104):0000-0000, DOI: 10.14260/jemds/2016/10000 S4 KEYWORDS : Syringomyelia, Dissociative Sensory Loss, Cavitation. HOW TO CITE THIS ARTICLE: Badrinath AK, Suresh K, Raghunathan R,et al. A case report of myelopathy– syringomyelia.
- Dr. Kinathankaraiyan Nagarajan. Serum Creatinine Phosphokinase as a Marker of Severity in Organosphosphorus Compound poisoning. Indian Journal of Basic & Applied Medical Research June 2016 Volume ;( 3) 160-168.
- AK Badrinath*, K Suresh†, R Raghunathan†, Suresh Babu S. A Case of Leptospirosis Presenting as Multiorgan Failure. Indian Journal of Clinical Practice August 2016; Vol. 27, No. 3, , P:245.
- Dr. T. Ravi Kumar, Dr. C. Manokaran, Dr. S. Ramaswamy, Dr. N, Kalaisezhian, dr. P. Saravanan, Dr. M. Gowrisankar, Dr. Chethan Bharthwaj, Dr. Vasif Mayan MC. Snake Bite : Treat the Shock and save the kidney – with low dose Asv- A practical approach. IOSR Journal of Dental and Medical Sciences August. 2016; p – ISSN : 2279-0861.15 (8): 29-33.
- Jeyasuriya A1, Badrinath AK2, Raghunathan R3; A case of Multiorgan dysfunction due to scrub typhus infection. International Journal of Clinical and Biomedical research. 2016 ; 2 (4): 72-74.
- A.K. Badrinath 1 , K. Suresh2 , R. Raghunathan2 , M. Balachandran2 , Suresh Babu S. A Case of Seizure Disorder – Pachygyria: A Rare Presentation. IJCMR November 2016 ; 3 (11) (Print): 2454-7379
- T. Vishwa Teja1, Girija Subramanian2, Karthikeyan Balu3, Harish Rajaram. Epididymo- Orchitis in an Adult with Scrub Typhus. Indian Journal of Medical & Health Sciences January-June 2017; 4 (1).
- Dr. C. Manokaran. Lethal Weapon in the Hands that heals-Mobile phone in Hospitals. Journal of Dental and Medical sciences May 2017 ; 16(5) : 55-57.
- Badrinath A K, Suresh K, Ragunathan R, Babu S S. A case report of complete atrioventricular heart block due to hyponatremia.
How to cite this article:
A case report of complete Atrioventricular heart block due to hyponatremia. Heart India 2017;5:105-
- Dr. S. Girija . Identification of high oxygen affinity hemoglobin (Hb Andrew – Minneapolis) in an Indian Family. April 2017; 39 (2).
- Suhaim Latif Perumbadi, M.K. Uthaya Sankar ; “Prevalance of cognitive dysfunction In elderly patients attending a tertiary care teaching hospital in puducherry”. A Journal of Medical science and clinical research October 2017; 5(10) : 2455-0450, Index copernicus value: 71.58 Impact factor (SJIF):5.84.
- Nagabhushan D, A K Badrinath, Sujitha Gurram, K Vinoth. The proportion of cognitive impairment in patients with obstructive sleep apnoea.
How to cite this article:
The proportion of cognitive impairment in patients with obstructive sleep apnoea. MedPulse International Journal of Medicine October 2017; 4(1): 19-23.
- Dr. K. Nagarajan. A study of serum magnesium in diabetes mellitus – Journal of evaluation of medical and Dental sciences 2017; 6(32):2619-2626, DOI: 10.14260/Jemds/2017/566.
- Venkatram Murugesan, Nagarajan Kinathankaraiyan, Ashida S Thulaseedharan, Badrinath A Kuppuswamy. Coronary Artery Disease Severity Assessment Using Urinary Dipstick Albumin Test. JMSCR November 2017; 05(11) Page 30490.
- Mopuru Penchala Varun, A K Badrinath. Correlation of Bilirubin Levels in Patients with and Without Cerebrovascular Accident. JMSCR November 2017 ; 05 Issue 11: 30454.
- Dr. Aravind. P.S, Dr. Manokaran. C, Salivary urea creatinine and GFR estimation in patients with chronic kidney disease. JMSCR . March 2018; 6(3) 804-811.
- Dr. M.K. Uthaya sankar1, Perumbadi. S.2, Shenbagaram K3,. Hanushraj R4. Clinical & etiological profile of acute undifferentiated fever in patient admitted to a teaching hospital in Pondicherry. International Journal of Medical Research and Review. May-June, 2018 ; vol 6/ Issue 05 .
- Yogesh S1, Uthaya Sankar M.K2, Shenbagaram K3, Hanushraj R4, . A study of QT Disperson among type 2 diabetics attending a tertiary care hospital in puducherry. J. Evolution Med. Dent. Sci/. June 04,2018; eISSN-2278-4802, pISSN-2278-4748/7(23)
- K. Nagarajan , Best Doctor award by Dr. MGR Medical University in state level in the year of 2015, he did fellowship in FCGP, FCdiabetic.
- A.K. Badrinath, fellowship in FEAC; FACP; FCCP; FIACM; FPCC; FIAE; FIMSA.
- C. Manokaran, Meritorious service award by Dean in CMCH.
- I.S.S. Suman Babu, TAPICON – Gold Medal in state level in the year of 2017.
University Gold Medals – PG
|Dr. S. Suresh Babu||Gold||2014|
|Dr. M. Venkatram||Gold||2015|
University Gold Medals – UG
|Andal Priyanka. B||Gold||2009|
Community visited Thiruvennainallur Rural Health Training Centre every Friday between 8.00 a.m. to 1.00 p.m. Camps are conducted in nearby villages for identifying and treating all Medicine cases at free of cost.
Organized & conducted:
|S.No.||Date||Nature of the Program||Programme|
|1||Nov. 2014||Guest Lecture||· Diabetes & Heart · Changing Pradigm in management of Type 2 DM|
|2||Jan 2015||1. Sarcopenia & ageing 2. Non Motor symptoms in Parkinson’s disease|
|3||March 2015||Swine flu – an update|
|5||19.04.2018||1. Heart Failure –Unmet Needs” 2. Recent Advances in the Management of Heart failure”|
|6||21.09.15||Day Celebration||World Alzheimers Day|
|7||06.10.15||International day of older people|
|8||21.11.15||World Diabetic Day|
|9||23.09.16||World Alzheimer’s Day Banners, Posters & Special camp|
|10||20.11.16||World Heart Day Celebration-camp|
|11||21.11.2016 to 25.11.2016||Special dietician awareness speech|
|12||21.09.2017||World Alzheimer’s Day|
|13||01.12.2017||World Diabetes Day 2017|
|14||08.02.18||“Overview of Myeloproliferative syndrome”.|
|15||25.11.2016||Awareness lecture||Special dietician awareness speech|
|16||24.06.2016||CME||Respiratory Medicine quiz programme for Napcon 2016 for Puducherry state|
|17||Oct’31 & Nov 1, 2015||Conference||SMV-SIPCON’15 Participants – 200 nos.|
|18||27.08.16||NEWRON’16 Credit points – 5 Attended faculty & PGs – 60 nos. Final year U.G. students – 100 nos.|
|19||15.09.2018||“SMV-Cardiocon ‘ 18”|
|Year||Name of the Post-graduates||Working Institute||Email ID|
|2012 – 2015||Dr. R. Harish||Asst. Professor, SMVMCHfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr. J. Sathiyanarayanan||Asst. Professor, SMVMCHemail@example.com|
|Dr. Prinoj Varghese||Private Practitioner, Cochinfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr. Aashish||Studying in Kolkata.||email@example.com|
|2013 – 2016||Dr. Palaniappan||Private Practitioner, Manaparaifirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr. Vivek. N.V||Private Practitioner, Erodeemail@example.com|
|Dr. Chandrasekar Konda||Private Practitioner, – Tirupathifirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr. Prinesh Varghese||Private Practitioner, Cochinemail@example.com|
|2014 – 2017||Dr. Gopi Srikanth Pratipathi||Private Practitioner,, Kakinadafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr. S. Suresh Babu||Asst. Professor, SMVMCHemail@example.com|
|Dr. T. Vishwa Teja||Studying in Chennaifirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr. A. Jeyasuriya||Velammal Medical college, Maduraiemail@example.com|
|2015 – 2018||Dr. M. Venkatram||Studying in Amirtha at Keralafirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr. Suhaim Latif Perumbadi||MES Medical Collegeemail@example.com|
|Dr. D. Nagabhushan||NMC, Nellorefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Dr. Mopuru Penchala Varun||Senior Resident, SMVMCH||Varunkumar.email@example.com|
Testimonial from PG Alumni:
|2014 -17||Dr. S. Suresh Babu||Asst. Professor||SMVMC & H, General Medicine department helped me to discover my passion for General Medicine. My professor’s helped me to achieve my goal to become a good physician.|
|2015-18||Dr. Mopuru Penchala Varun||Senior Resident||SMVMC & H , General Medicine department gave the best 3 years of my life in academic and career modulation and able to treat the patient to the up to date knowledge.|