The Respiratory Medicine department of Sri Manakula Vinayagar Medical College and Hospital was started in 2012. Before that it was been part of department of General Medicine. Since then the department has made steady progress from 10 patients per day initially to 60 patients and also offers state of the art care and rated among the best in the state. The respiratory physicians are well experienced, dedicated and are experts in treating full range of respiratory disorders. Apart from comprehensive care and management of respiratory diseases, the department is well equipped with latest instruments in the field of respiratory care to serve best to the patients.
|Dr. Yuvarajan. S||Associate Professor|
|Dr. Praveen. R||Assistant Professor|
|Dr. Antonious Maria Selvam||Senior Resident|
|Dr. Ramachandran. M. V||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Hari Prakash. M||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Kamal Bharathi. S||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Santhiya. R||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Vinayak Nanthanan||Junior Resident|
|Dr. Prathaban. K||Junior Resident|
The Out Patient Department (OPD) works seven days a week. Senior consultants are available for consultation and management of respiratory diseases Patients are referred from out stations and other departments of the Medical Centre for expert opinion and management.
The Respiratory Medicine department manages all kinds of lung problems like Bronchial Asthma, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Diseases (COPD), Pulmonary Tuberculosis, Pneumonia (and other lung infections), Interstitial Lung Diseases, Occupational Lung Diseases, Pleural Diseases, Cancers of the respiratory tract, snoring and sleep apnea and critically ill patients like acute exacerbation of bronchial asthma, COPD, ILD, PTE, ARDS etc., and all other undiagnosed and complicated lung diseases.
Our ward is situated in the fourth floor with 30 beds, separate isolation ward (4 beds).The wards are well ventilated, equipped with central oxygen supply, central vacuum suction facilities and jet nebulizers. We have a dedicated Respiratory ICU with 4 beds. Each bed has “state of art” monitoring facility, advanced ventilators, NIV support and various accessories required for critically ill patients. The RICU is manned round the clock by senior resident and post graduates. The nurse patient ratio is 1:1.5.
- RNTCP / DOTS
- Smoking Cessation
- Pulmonary Function tests
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation clinic
- Sleep Disorder Centre
- Critical Care Services
Revised National Tuberculosis Programme (RNTCP) – This is a unit under the control of district tuberculosis office, Pondicherry. Free microscopy and DOTS therapy are extended to deserving patients. Patients are registered under RNTCP and help them to provide DOTS therapy.
SMOKING CESSATION CLINIC:
Services offered include an initial consultation with a Pulmonologist regarding smoking habits. Patient education is provided, and the motivation to stop smoking is discussed. Pharmaceutical intervention may be offered where appropriate counseling is also offered to patients attending the clinic and on a follow up basis as needed.
PULMONARY FUNCTION TEST:
Pulmonary Function Tests (PFT’s) are useful in diagnosing various lung disorders. They also measure the degree of impairment due to disease. The progression of a disease and the effectiveness of treatments can be carefully observed with regularly scheduled testing. Pulmonary Function Tests are also used frequently to assess preoperative risk and are done supervised by chief respiratory technician.
Patients with COPD, ILD and other chronic lung diseases are benefited from pulmonary rehabilitation which is provided by a team of healthcare professionals from various specialities.
The team consists of a
- Pulmonary physician,
- Clinical nurse specialist,
- Exercise physiologist,
- Respiratory therapist,
SLEEP DISORDER CENTRE:
- Sleep study suite in the second floor. Fully equipped with latest state of art equipments to diagnose sleep related disorders. BiPAP and CPAP titrations are also done by trained technicians.
Flexible Video Bronchoscopy is done for both diagnostic and therapeutic indications. A modern endoscopy suite with fluoroscopy is available for out-patient and In-patients. A fibreoptic Bronchoscopy system with video and photographic capability is used for performing bronchoscopies which helps in the complete visual assessment of air passages and in making an accurate diagnosis of infection, cancerous changes and also in obtaining biological samples for pathological examinations.
- Diagnostic Flexible Bronchoscopy
- Interventional Bronchoscopy
- Endobronchial Biopsy
- Transbronchial lung biopsy
- Baloon Tamponade
- Endobronchial instillation of Drugs
- Foreign body removal
- Whole lung lavage (WLL)
Procedure done by trained Pulmonologist to visualize the pleural cavity and biopsy of the pleura in undiagnosed pleural effusions.
- Intercostal drain insertion
- VATS Lung Biopsy (Open Lung biopsy)
Our department has the backing of good thoracic surgery service from the department of Cardio Thoracic Vascular Surgery.
- Six minutes walk test (6 MWT)
- Allergen sensitivity tests
- Intercostal tube drainage and pigtail drainage
- Multidetector CT scan (MD CT)
- Pulmonary angiogram
- Closed pleural biopsy
- CT guided FNAC of Lung /pleural mass
- CT guided biopsy of Lung/Pleural mass
- USG guided pigtail drainage
- CT guided pigtail drainage (pleural)
- Oxygen titration
- CPAP titration
- Indwelling pleural catheter drainage (Pleurx catheter)
- Bronchial artery embolisation
The following clinics are held over the week
|Name of the clinic||Days||Timing|
|COPD||MONDAY||8 am – 12 pm|
|ASTHMA||TUESDAY||8 am – 12 pm|
|PULMONARY REHABILITATION||THURSDAY||8 am – 12 pm|
|SLEEP DISORDERS||FRIDAY||8 am – 12 pm|
- Able to identify signs and symptoms of common respiratory illness
- Able to identify pulmonary tuberculosis suspects.
- Aware of common interventions in Respiratory Medicine.
- Able to deliver respiratory care services at the primary care level
CRRI’s are trained in diagnosing and managing the common Respiratory disorders and to handle the emergencies during their 2 weeks posting.
Post graduate MD program has been started since 2012 with intake of 2 seats/year. The teaching schedules are being carried out based on the Pondicherry University syllabus.
The departmental academic activities include a minimum of (monthly)
|Friday||Group discussion / chest Radiology||2|
Assessment of students is done based on the regularity of attendance, level of participation in academic activities and the quality of presentation. Internal assessment tests (both theory and practical) are being conducted periodically. Clinical skills are documented in their log book regularly.
Basic sciences and specialty teaching are being taught by the senior faculty of the department. Interdepartmental meetings are conducted with various allied departments to enable them attain adequate knowledge. Workshops on research methodology and statistics are conducted in association with department of community medicine. They are trained to conduct the thesis in an efficient way.
They are given special hands-on training on Interventional procedures.
They are engaged in peripheral postings in various departments like General Medicine, Cardiology, CTVS, Oncology and Anesthesiology. Also posted in Tambaram Sanatorium (Chennai).
- Kavitha Devi M, Yuvarajan S, Vickram Reddy, Kalaikovan B. A study on the levels of IGE as a biomarker in the management of bronchial asthma patients. Indian Journal of Immunology and Respiratory Medicine, 2016; 1(3): 58-62.
- Bency K. Thomas and S. Yuvarajan. Plasma Fibrinogen in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease – A Cross Sectional Study Conducted in a Tertiary Care Hospital in Puducherry, India. British Journal of Medicine & Medical Research, 2016; 14(7): 1-8.
- Antonious S, Yuvarajan S, Praveen, Gangi Reddy TK. Left pyopneumothorax with bronchopleural fistula and closure. Indian Journal of Immunology and Respiratory Medicine, 2016;1(4): 100-3.
- Bency K. Thomas, Praveen Radhakrishnan, S. Yuvarajan. A case of mixed connective tissue disorder with interstitial lung disease: case report. JMEDS, 2016; 5(33): 1860-62.
- Yuvarajan S, Ambikapathi P, Vickram Reddy, Kalaikovan B. A study on serum magnesium level in bronchial asthma patients. Indian Journal of Immunology and Respiratory Medicine, 2017; 2(1): 4-6.
- Mathanraj S.*, Vysak Kumar, Yuvarajan S., Vikram Reddy. Correlation of serum TNF alpha level with severity of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Int. J of Research in Medical Sciences, 2017; 5(8): 3309-16.
- Vysakh V Kumar, Yuvarajan.S, Gangi Reddy TK, Antonious. Tracheo-bronchial diverticulosis and Bronchiectasis. Indian Journal of Immunology and Respiratory Medicine, 2017; 2(1): 25-27.
- Nanda Kishore K.S., Yuvarajan S, Gangi Reddy T.K., Suresh S. Unilateral pulmonary hypoplasia with bullous lung disease a rare case report. Indian Journal of Immunology and Respiratory Medicine, 2017; 2(3): 96-97.
- Nanda Kishore, S. Yuvarajan, Gangireddy, Kalaikovan and A. K. Badrinath. Bronchiectasis and Pulmonary Hypertension in Sjogren’s Syndrome, 2017;7(4): 163-66.
- S bronchoscopy aided endo-bronchial instillation of itraconazole for the treatment of aspergilloma Indian Journal of Medical Case Reports. An Online International Journal 2013 Vol.2 (4) October-December, pp.4-8/Yuvarajan
- Thoracoscopic pleural brushing- An addendum in diagnostic Thoracoscopy. Yuvarajan S, K Gangi Reddy European Respiratory Journal 2017.
- Sivagnaname Y. Utility of measuring exhaled carbon monoxide (ECO) level in addition to pulmonary function test (Spirometry) in the monitoring of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Int J Med Sci Public Health. 2014 3:289–94.
- Sivagnaname, S. Yuvarajan, R.L.J. De Britto. Urgent need for a permanent dengue surveillance system in India. Curr Sci, 102 (5) (2012), pp. 672-675.
- Yuvarajan S. Durga K. Gerard Rakesh J. Importance Of Pulmonary Complications In Dengue 3 International Journal of Basic and Applied Medical Sciences. Vol. 5 (1) January-April, pp. 322-327.
- M KD, Yuvarajan S, Thomas BK. Anterior mediastinal mass: A case report of thymoma. Int J Med Sci Public Health. (2015), [cited October 24, 2018]; 4(5): 730-732.
- Gerard Rakesh, T. Kasturi S. Yuvarajan. Bacterial agents causing acute exacerbations in Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) patients, their antibiograms to Extended Spectrum Beta-Lactamases (ESBL) production in a tertiary care hospital, India. Int J Curr Microbiol App Sci. 2013;2(11):273-82.
- Thomas BK, Radhakrishnan P, Yuvarajan S. A case of mixed connective tissue disorder with interstitial lung disease: case report. J. Evolution Med. Dent. Sci. 2016;5(33):1860-1862, DOI: 10.14260/jemds/2016/438.
|Dr. KAVITHA DEVI. M||Gold||2015|
|Dr. R. PRAVEEN||Gold||2016|
Outreach and community programs:
- Community visit to Thiruvennainallur Rural Health Training Centre every Friday between 8am to 1pm.
- Respiratory Medical camp conducted twice every year in the Rural health centers.
|1||20.09.2015||Quiz Programme for Postgraduates (zonal level) on behalf of NESCON -2015|
|2||24.03.2016||World TB Day- Counseling about TB Awareness|
|3||03.05.2016||World Asthma Day & Spirometry Camp.|
|4||31.05.2016||Patient education regarding Smoking Cessation on World Tobacco Day|
|5||20.06.2016||Quiz Programme for Post graduates on ILD.|
|6||29.06.2016||Update on ILD (CME)|
|7||27.10.2016||Recent advances in the Diagnosis & Management of Lung Cancer.|
|8||29.03.2017||Live interaction programme with TB suspects and public regarding tuberculosis and awareness of TB control (World TB Day)|
|9||15.11.2017||Competition for COPD patient on World COPD Day|
|10||29.03.2018||Tuberculosis – The Present and future Scenario (CME)|
PATIENT EDUCATION (AWARNESS PROGRAMME):
This center aims at improving quality of life in COPD/Bronchial Asthma patients. These patients are taught proper technique of using inhalers and breathing exercises by well trained Respiratory Technicians. Patients are educated about the hazards of smoking, tobacco use and smoking cessation awareness created among patients.
Also tuberculosis patients are routinely counseled regarding the condition, need for completion of treatment and regular follow-up.
The department periodically conducts patient education on following days.
- World TB day – 24thMarch
- World Sleep Disorder Day – 16th March
- World Asthma Day – 1stTuesday of May
- World No Tobacco Day – 31st May
- Lung Cancer Day – 1stAugust
- World Lung Day – 1st August
- World Spirometry Day – 14thOctober
- World Pneumonia Day – 12thNovember
- World COPD day – 3rd Wednesday of November
|Batch||Name Of The PG||Designation/Institution (Current)||Email Id|
|2012– 2015||Dr. Bency. K. Thomas||Assistant Professor,
Believers Church Medical College & Hospital, Kerala.
|Dr. Kavitha Devi. M||Assistant Professor,
SRM Medical College Hospital & Research Centre, Chennai.
|2013 – 2016||Dr. Y. Dishan||Assistant Professor,
Dr.Somervell Memorial Mission Hospital, Kerala.
|Dr. R. Praveen||Assistant Professor,
Sri Manakula Vinayagar Medical College & Hospital, Pondicherry.
|2014 – 2017||Dr. Antonious Maria Selvam||Senior Resident,
Sri Manakula Vinayagar Medical College & Hospital, Pondicherry.
|Dr. Vysakh.V. Kumar||Senior Resident,
Kiran Multi Super Specialty Hospital & Research Centre, Surat.
|2015 – 2018||Dr. Nanda Kishore. K.S||Senior Resident,
Sanjay Gandhi Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow.
|Dr. Tanisha Saleem. F||Senior Resident ,
M.S Ramaiah Medical College, Bangalore.