The cardiology department provides comprehensive cardiac care round the clock. The department provides evaluation and treatment for coronary artery disease,valvular heart diseases,cardiomyopathies ,heart failure and arrhythmias. All diagnostic equipments like echocardiography machines, Holter machines and TMT machines are available. A dedicated Cardiac Catheterization lab is available for invasive cardiology procedures.
Dr.Ashida.T.S .M.D, DNB (Cardiology), FESC- Head of the Department
NON INVASIVE CARDIOLOGY
The Cardiology Department runs its OPD from Monday through Saturday. In addition follow up of post intervention patients and clinical & Echo follow up of patients with Valvular Heart disease & congenital heart disease is done.
NONINVASIVE CARDIAC LAB
- 2D ECHO WITH COLOR DOPPLER-
- The department is equipped with the following echocardiography machines.
- The services offered are -Adult, pediatric and neonatal echoes
- -Transesophageal ECHO
- -Bedside echocardiogram – for ICU/post op patients.
PHILIPS –Envisor –C
PHILIPS –CX 50
- TREADMILL TESTING
- Stress ECG testing is done for evaluation of coronary artery disease and as a part of preoperative evaluation
- C.24 hour HOLTER MONITORING
- for evaluation of tachy/Brady arrhythmias
A state of the art Digital Cardiac Catheterization Lab (Philips) is fully operational since 2012 and has been of immense benefit to the patients . More than 2000 diagnostic and interventional procedures have been done. Following services are available in the cathlab-Coronary and peripheral Angiography ,PTCA (elective,emergency) Pericardioscentesis, Temporary Pacemaker Implantation ,Permanent pacemaker Implantation,Structuralheartdiseaseinterventions.
Comprehensive cardiac care is available including CABG & Valve replacement surgeries with the establishment of Cardiothoracic surgery department.
- Tamilnadu Chief Minister Comprehensive Health
- Insurance Scheme
- Private Insurances
a.Post Intervention Clinic- Tuesday
b.Heart Failure clinic -Wednesday
c.Valvular Heart Disease clinic –Friday
Cardiac Screening Package
- Post graduates in medicine are posted for a period of one month in the Department of Cardiology.They are trained in detailed evaluation and treatment of all cardiac cases including emergencies.Orientation and Basic Training in Echocardiogram is also done.
-Bedside clinics for Medicine post graduates
-Co-Guide for PG dissertations (Medicine,Pathology)
- Ongoing Research projects in the Department
- Leptin gene polymorphism and its impact on proinflammatory cytokines in CAD patients with clustered cardiovascular risk factors.
- Coronary collateral circulation in acute, sub-acute and chronic total occlusions.
- Morning blood.pressure surge and it’s relation to hypertensive end organ damage and severity of coronary artery disease-Thulaseedharan Sarojadevi Ashida, Rajagopal Sriram, Rangasamy Balamurugan.Journal of Cardiovascular Medicine and Surgery Volume 4 Number 3, July – September 2018
- Ventricular Tachycardia in Repaired Double Chambered Right Ventricle – Identification of the Substrate and Successful Ablation. Raja J Selvaraj, Pakkirisamy Gobu, Thulaseedharan S Ashida. Indian Pacing and Electrophysiology Journal (ISSN 0972-6292), 12 (1): 27-31 (2012)
- Coronary Artery Disease Severity Assessment Using Urinary Dipstick Albumin Test .Venkatram Murugesan, Nagarajan Kinathankaraiyan, Ashida S Thulaseedharan, Badrinath A Kuppuswamy.Journal of Medical Science and Clinical Research. Volume 05 Issue 11 November 2017
- Clinical and Biochemical Heterogeneity of Early Onset Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus. TS Ashida, AK Das,MG Sridhar. Journal of the Association of Physicians of India 55 245-246 .2007
- · Temporary transvenous pacing via upper limb veins in patients undergoing transradial interventions.Santhosh satheesh,Thulaseedharan.s.Ashida,Palanimalai Arunprasath. Conference Paper Circulation · May 2012
- Prevalence and Pattern of Left Main Coronary Artery Disease in Indian Women. Babu ezhumalai,Raja Selvaraj,Thulaseedharan sarojadevi ashida. The American Journal of Cardiology 109(7):S131 · April 2012
Text Book Chapters
- Diabetic Dyslipidemia-Ashida.T.S,Ashok kumar Das.Medicine Update 12/01 56-58
- Impact of Glycemic control on Complications of Diabetes Mellitus.Ashok Kumar Das,T.S.Ashida. RSSDI Textbook Of Diabetes.
- Modern Insulins – The Insulin Analogues: A Reappraisal.
- Ashok Kumar Das,T.S.Ashida.Medicine Update 219-223
- Effect of intracoronary nikorandil compared to nitroglycerin on coronary diameter, hemodynamics, and TIMI flow grade following balloon dilatation during elective PTCA TS, Satheesh S,Selvaraj RJ, J.Balachander . JIPMER, Pondicherry CSI 2011.
- DR. H. S. WASIR GOLD MEDAL FOR CARDIOLOGY-National Board of Examinations-December 2009
- FESC -Fellow of European Society of Cardiology -2017
The Department is actively involved in the screening and treatment of people at community level by means of camps conducted at peripheral centres.ECG and Echocardiography are done to identify congenital heart diseases,Rheumatic heart disease,Coronary artery disease.Patients are provided complete treatment free of cost and also under various schemes.
- Cardiology Camp in SMVMCH as Part of World Heart Day Celebrations .(2014,2015,2016)
- Conducted ECG workshop for SIMSCON -2016 along with Dr.RajaSelvaraj Faculty-JIPMER
- CADCON 2018 – Organising secretary
-Conducted Cardiology Quiz For Postgraduates
-CAD in Indians-World Heart Day Celebrations-SMVMCH
-Heart Disease in Pregnancy- Cardiology CME in SVMCH
-Acute Coronary Syndrome-An Update-IMA CME
-Heart Failure-Unmet needs-CME –SMVMCH